Monday, February 8, 2021

Music Marketing Blog Post #2

 Our process started by looking at the song choices that were given to us. At first we directly chose We Are Young and we kind of started to plan what we were going to do for the video; however, we thought about it again and we began to review each of the songs given to us. After that, we concluded that Royals was our way to go. This decision was made due to the fact that we realized that it would be easier to convey the message of the Royals song in a music video since the song’s topic is something kind of more “tangible” and easier to show in a music video. After we made the decision, we started to brainstorm about what we were going to do for the video. Decided that the video would have many relationships with crossing doors and material things. 

After we decided that, we started working on the marketing research for the companies and case studies. Before even beginning to choose what companies we were going to choose, we splitted up what each of us was going to do. My part was the history of the first company and one of the case studies for the first company. The companies that we chose were Universal Music Production and Columbia Records. The process of choosing these record labels was pretty simple, we chose UMP because it was mentioned during class; however, Columbia was different. We looked up various record labels over the internet and decided that Columbia was the right choice based on its popularity and artist that they represent. Following this, we start making the research for each of our parts. For the history of UMP, which I was in charge of, I started by looking up “Universal Music Production history”. I digged through the Wikipedia page, some timelines and other articles, just picking up what I thought was relevant for the research. On the other hand, for the case study, at first I looked up people who UPM represents. By doing this, I found Adele. I started to do the research on her; however, after some time without finding anything relevant about her marketing strategies, I decided to change the case study to Justin Bieber, who I previously saw when I found Adele. For the Justin Bieber case study was so much easier to find the information that I needed. I started by looking up what his last album was, then I started to look for the marketing strategies that it had. I came up to various websites which had information about all he did to promote the album; the one that stood up for me being his YouTube documentary about the journey of the album.

On January 22nd, we started to think about what we were going to do for our video. We started by brainstorming about the choices we could make for the video. At first we thought about doing the video with many symbolisms and a lot of shots. However, Ms. Stoklosa told us there would be way too many elements for one and a half minutes and that it would not be effective. She told us that it would be better for us to make it more simple. After that, we started to simplify the idea that we had in order to make it with way less elements. We decided that the main things of our piece would be the color coding and the parallelism between two realities. After that was decided, we started to think about the storyboard. Even though we did not actually start it, we did the outline of it in order to see what we were going to do for our video. After this, we did the storyboard. We assigned each member of the group 5 shots to draw in order to be more efficient and not be unfair.

After having everything setted up, we met up on a Saturday in order to shoot the video. Before shooting, we went into Walgreens in order to get some stuff that we needed for the mise-en-scene of our piece. We started shooting on our first location, Walgreens’ parking lot. We started by finding the right angle for the shots we needed in the location. We had around 5 shots in Walgreens. Those shots were mainly to set up the tone and the context for the story of our music video. After taking all the shots we needed in Walgreens, we went to my house. In my house, we recorded the shots that were left with the trashy outfit. After we finished with the shots with the trashy outfit, Ana changed her clothes in order to start filming the shots we needed with the “royals” outfit, which was meant to show the change of lifestyle that the character had. Following that, we shot at my house to show the shots we needed in order to show “other side of the coin”. To close up, it should be added that the shots we recorded were interspersed. This due to the fact that it would be easier for Ana to do all the shots with one outfit at once rather than changing clothes back to back for each shot we had to do.

Afterwards, my group and I decided how we were going to divide the work for the slides and the edition. I chose to do the edition of the video and the video explanation slide due to the fact that I was what I’d call the director, but at same time no because we all directed it in a way. At the time I was editing, I chose to focus the most on the coloring and the cutbacks of the editing. For the cutbacks, I tried my hardest to make them seem as if the shots were the same just with a different outfit, which I think is something I achieved for the shots in the bathroom. Regarding the color coding, for the shots that were meant to show the characters reality I chose a brownish yellow color and for the shots that were meant to show the “royals” life I chose a purplish color. This for the simple fact that I knew that the purple symbolizes eccentrism, while for the brownish yellow, even though the yellow symbolizes happiness, that tone I related it with disgrace. Concerning my slide in the presentation, the video explanation, I focused on how the video would develop the brand of JAGD as a whole. I went in depth about how the band would focus on their branding towards the colors as the main aspect in order to show the style of it.

To close up, towards the creation of this project and the viewing of the other presentations, I came to the realization that there are many things that I am not yet at my hundred percent understanding of the media world. This came to me while me and my group were creating our piece. At the time of the creation process of the presentation when we were thinking strategies for the marketing, I found it very difficult to come up with an idea for it, even though we had the case studies as reference. However, from this project, something positive I learned was that any single thing can work as a marketing element, from a single color, to even a spoon. Regarding how this project could benefit me for when I make my Cambridge portfolio, it could help me in many ways. One of them is teaching me many dos and don'ts about how to create good marketing and developing a brand based on a character/artist. This would help a lot at the time of the creation of my Cambridge portfolio due to the fact that I would be more experienced for when I create it in terms of marketing and how to distribute my content. In addition, the viewing of other people’s projects helped me in the way that they made me think from another perspective. When I watched many of the presentations, the thought that came to my head was “oh my god, I could have done this way” or “how did they come up with that?”. The viewings really opened my mind and gave me different perspectives about the decisions I could have done, which in my opinion is very valuable for my future creations for the Cambridge portfolio. To close up, as I previously said, the most helpful thing for the developing of my portfolio in the future is the experience this project gave me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

THE LAST DANCE: My Creative Reflection

 This is my last blog post ever (I think) about the portfolio project with the amazing band we found, Pluto, and my dawgs Ana and Lander. It...